Jubilee event at New York

by Roy

In May I first visited the village hall at New York Lincolnshire to attend one of their bike nights. Towards the end of the evening a committee announced that the hall was organising a Jubilee event in June. It sounded like fun, with a ride out and a live band, so I went again to the hall this month. When I arrived it was fairly busy, the catering was all outside with a van doing drinks and food; plenty of burgers and filled rolls, coffee and tea were one pound a cup. Close by was an ice

cream van luckily it was a hot day so this van did well. The committee thought to change things slightly this time, the ride out was a seven-mile ride around the lanes was on the cards. Tractors had also been invited attend this event and cars were also taking part as well.

This was a fun day, in the grass area by the hall 3 outdoor games had been set up, one was skittles, all these games were free just have a go. Local families were enjoying themselves. I brought a few split pins of the man selling stainless steel nuts and bolts and the like. We had a long chat about the effect of the modern petrol on motorcycles and the problems. We also found out that both of us knew Dave Angel of F2 Motorcycles so more to talk about. Vehicles kept turning up, about 50 motorcycles and I would guess a few more classic cars, not so many tractors but it was interesting to see the development from the early models to the latest.

Looking around the motorcycles I spotted a 1926 Royal Enfield this was like new. It had a 225 cc two stroke engine and this bike is believed to be one of only 5 of this model known to survive. It cost £42 pounds new and was fitted with carbide lights, for an extra £ 8 you could have had electric lights. There were 3 three wheelers, mine, a trike and a Reliant van.

Time for the rideouts, all three groups set off at different times, and in decade groups slowest first, they went left from the hall went down the road later reappearing in front of the hall going the other way, lots of sounding of hooters and waving eventually they all arrived back, talking to a motorcycle rider who took part he was surprised at the number of people standing in their gardens giving them a wave as they rode past. With all the vehicles safely home, it was time for the band to play, they were good. Some people from the village were walking to the hall to hear them. The last thing to happen that night was a bonfire in the car park but I had gone home by that time.

This was a good family fun event a credit to the organisers, great support from the people living locally and those who brought their vehicles along. The weather helped make this a memorable occasion. Well done everybody.